Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Kitchen Remodel

I'm back with yet another remodel post on the new house.  We purchased this house well aware that we would be doing numerous renovations to it.  The first and my main priority was the kitchen.  It had light oak cabinets, with light oak floors, ugly laminate counters, and was just plain FILTHY!  It was nothing that some paint and hard work couldn't fix, but there were also some things we wanted to do to spruce it up a bit.  It was probably the standard basic level kitchen that the contracotr who built the house offered, but we wanted to make it look a bit more custom.  I will explain everything we did throughout the pictures below.

This is the kitchen looking in from the living room.  The cooking area isn't the largest, but there is a nice dining nook area and plenty of counter space as well as cabinet space.  Notice the cabinet doors on this side of the cabinets!  YUCK!  Also, the drop down of the countertop.  Again, why? YUCK!
In the dining nook were also these rotted out doors that opened awkwardly right into the dining room, which would interfere with a table that was there.
 Ugly kitchen counters with nasty sink and white appliances.  We had a vision and quickly got to work.  I will show you where we started tomorrow!


Sunday, January 5, 2014

Library Table

Taking a break from the many house updates, I have to show you a project my husband worked on over break.  This table I bought at an auction for a whopping $10!!!  It looked pretty rough, but structurally was pretty sound, so I jumped on it.

I didn't really know what I wanted to do with it so I thought now was a good time to try the much talked about Annie Sloan chalk paint.  We purchased a quart of the french linen paint, clear wax, and the brown wax.  It was pricey, but my husband loved working with it.  He said it went on easily and covered the piece great.  The final product turned out better than I could have imagined!

Here are some pictures of the final product one it was completed.  Check out the last photo of a close-up of the before an after.  

The ta

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Fireplace Renovation

Hello there!  Since I have been on quite the blogging break, many things have happened.  I have met the man of my dreams, gotten married, and we now have purchased our first home which has turned out to be a large project.  I have many projects to share with you, as we have continued on our bargain hunting journeys throughout this renovation.  My first project that I wanted to share though is my favorite, our fireplace remodel!  Enjoy and stay tuned for many updates!  I will blogging daily for awhile as we have many projects  completed that I have yet to share and many in the works!  Happy 2014 to all!

This entire project was a DIY done for less than $1,000.  One thing I do have to mention is that my dad is a contractor  and did a majority of the labor at no cost to us.  I believe we spent around $600 for stone and grouting materials and close to $400 spent o. The wood to trim everything out and for the bead board.